Tuesday, July 7, 2009

3 Things I Know For Sure

After advice from a whole lot of people I am going full force ahead with this wedding planning in hopes that we can do it in either February or March. My rents’ are coming to Charlotte this weekend from Atlanta and we will proceed to check out possible wedding venues.

My Mom is an event planner for a living and has her own business so she’s pretty savvy when it comes to all this. The one good thing she keeps telling me over and over is that she wants to do what I want to do. GREAT! Who could ask for more– right?

I’m sure there will be tons of bumps along the way but my goal is to make the whole process as EASY as possible and NO we’re not spending any 50K on a wedding.. that’s just dumb.

So – the three things that I know right now are:

I'm having the wedding in Charlotte - hopefully somewhere Uptown.

Rebekah will be my Matron of Honor. I'm not doing any other attendants. I have too many friends and have been in too many weddings. PLUS.. at the age I'm at most of my friends have kiddos or are trying to have kiddos.. and do they really want to spend the $$ to be in a wedding? NO!
Brad's best man will be his brother Jeff.

Since I'm not having bridesmaids I will be sure to do a cake pull which is NOLA tradition. Your single friends stand around the cake and pull out a ribbon. They all have different charms on them and mean something different. Whoever gets the ring is the next to get married.
See the ribbons at the bottom of this cake?
so fun!

Well, Happy Tuesday!

9 comments:

starnes family said...

Yay for Rebekah!!!!! Plans look great already. Anxious to see it all come together!

Love the cake pull. Cute!

Allyson and Dave said...

I love the idea of a small wedding party. We each had a sibling and a best friend. We only had 50 people go to the Bahamas for the wedding so I did not want half of our guests to be in the wedding. It worked out great.

If the shoe FITZ said...

love the cake pull idea.
i did that at my bridesmaid luncheon.

another idea/suggestion that I think is so fun. My friend did this at her wedding where most of the girls were already married/engaged. She did want to throw a bouquet so instead she tricked all of us. first she called up all the womena at the wedding young old married, single and it looked like she was holding one bouquet but when she threw it three or four small ones branched out. each one meant something different like love, happiness, prosperity etc...whatever you want them to be.

Dee Stephens said...

Oh! I like that idea! I'll have to ask the florist if they can do that!

Domestic Diva said...

I only had a mofh. I had several FLOWER GIRLS...as my little cousins were 15-5. It looked super cute. Also I did the pull the ribbons out of the cake..for all the flower girls to do. THEY truly thought it was the best thing ever. I thing having younger ones in the wedding make it a grand thing. So happy for you. Can't wait to hear where you have your wedding in Charlotte. I lived in Myers Park for a short time and loved it there.
xxxx me

bridechic said...

Congrats! I tried and failed to find your email. Wanted to shoot you over some shots of Jackie Kennedy's favorite designers during her reign in The White House. Ironically, tomorrow's post on Bride Chic is all about iconic brides and their gowns, Jackie's being one of them. Actually Jackie would have prefered a simpler gown with less fabric and would have had it had she more opportunity to organize her own wedding.

Alayna said...

yay! Can't wait to hear all the plans!

The Lenzers said...

3 things to know is a great place to start. i have never heard of the ribbon pull, what a great idea! When I got married it was on a cruise ship so my planning was fairly easy. I did, however, send them a picture of a cake I wanted. It was acutally JLo's cake (I guess from her last wedding) and the picture was about an inch big out of People magazine. Would you believe my cake looked EXACTLY like the picture. That was my favorite part of the planning. And the music, you mentioned in another post. I wrote down all my songs as I thought of them too. I wanted the dancing to be so much fun for my friends. And it was!! Lucky you for having a pro in the family too. Can't wait to hear more.

Kara Edwards said...

Sounds like everything is coming together great so far! I think it's a wonderful idea to have a small wedding party. I mentioned to Chris that you had more close girlfriends than anyone I've ever known- so you would have to have 157 bridesmaids to fit them all in! Hah!

Love the cake pull idea! My sister only had a maid of honor (her daughter) and best man in her wedding party- and she had all of her closest family and friends sit at the edge of the aisles. We each handed her a flower as she walked by to complete her bouquet- it was really sweet! I'm sure whatever you decide to do, it will be a beautiful wedding! We are so excited for you guys!!

Kara