Monday, November 16, 2009

Time or Money?

The question today? What's worth more to you? Time or Money?....

That's the question I'm trying to answer for myself and am having a hard time figuring it out.

The reason? My parking garage where I park to go to work in Uptown Charlotte went up $25 overnight for their monthly rate! I am still ticked off! That means I'm now paying $100 a month just to park to go to work!

Geezz....When I lived at my condo there was no other option except for bus since I only lived a mile from Uptown...but now it's different since I'm living in South Charlotte.

Now I'm closer to the light rail system that we have here in Charlotte. For $50 a month I can park and ride the train into dowtown.

We live 5-miles from the the train station versus 13 miles of me driving into Uptown. That will save me on gas $$ especially since I drive a gas guzzling JEEP.

The down part? It increases my commute by 20-minutes.

So - the question is -- time or money? 20 extra minutes or an extra $60 a month between gas and parking?

What would you do? I'm very torn.... Brad thinks I should take the time which SHOCKS me!
Happy Monday...

5 comments:

teresa-bug said...

There is one other element to consider...the environment. I would say take the train. I wish I could!

donatelli98 said...

That's tough. Maybe try the train and see how it goes ... it may give you some chill time before and after work. Time is important though - especially once you have kids!

starnes family said...

I like the train idea for the environmental factor as well. Plus, I'd give anything for another 20 minutes en route somewhere to relax and read. I'm all about taking time to save money......but with that said, I'm at home with kids all day, so I've got it. Working full time was certainly a different matter.

bridechic said...

I just finished commenting on a blog about the romance of train travel. So . . . I guess you know my answer . . .

The Lenzers said...

i almost always say time! but this is an ongoing expense, so money might win. i think you should try the train for a couple of weeks and see how it works out. you might love it, or not!