Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanksgiving Day Memories..

I know many of you have already moved on to Christmas but I'm still in Thanksgiving mode. Just over a week away! We're heading to Atlanta to spend time with my parents and my brother and nephew are driving up from Louisiana to meet Brad for the first time! Can you believe?

Thanksgiving over the years has been a hodge podge of memories. When I was a kid my Maw Maw came down from AR to LA to spend it with us. Then in college I never went home and instead joined my friend's families..and on and on...

Anyway - in celebration of the turkey - I'm relfecting on my favorite Thanksgiving Day memory.

Drumroll please!

2001 - Disneyland - Anaheim, CA with Mom and Cathy!

As most of you know I’m a sucker for Disney and Thanksgiving Day is the best time to go! Want to know why? They roll out all their Christmas décor, parade and attractions! And……they have it snow on main street during the fireworks at night! I have more pictures from this trip but not scanned in.

I was stoked to go to Disney and made plans for me and Mom but at the last minute Cathy asked to go too since we both lived in Vegas and had no other plans for Turkey Day. I think Cathy thought it was hokey at first but I’ll never forget when the Christmas parade started coming through the park. Cathy looked and me and said – “This is kinda cool!”

Haha! Of course it is! At Disneyland they also turn the entire Small World attraction into Christmas mode decked with lights and all the countries singing Merry Christmas throughout the ride. Also, they turn the Haunted Mansion into the Nightmare Before Christmas!

Disneyworld in Orlando does a lot of the same stuff – which I’m sure Allyson can tell you about – but I’ve only been there once during Christmas and it was back in 1990.

As far as our Thanksgiving dinner when at Disneyland? We ate at New Orleans restaurant in their Downtown Disney area. We enjoyed a few hurricanes which is a whole other story!

What is your favorite Thanksgiving holiday memory?

3 comments:

Yellow Beads said...

Like you, it changes. My favorite memory is bringing my hubby (at the time fiance) home for Thanksgiving with my family in Louisiana. It was his first real visit with my mom & dad.

SASS said...

I still love Thanksgiving, no worries! I didn't know that about Disney World! Too fun.
My favorite memories are cooking with the women in my family. I mostly just helped, listened to their stories, watched the different and similar ways they cooked. Lots of delicious food from the hands of my elders. Good times!

Allyson and Dave said...

It is funny you should mention me and Disney. I just found out today that my office is taking the day off on Dec. 8 to go to the Magic Kingdom. I am very excited. I have never been to the Magic Kingdom during the holidays. I have done the Animal Kingdom. They have an awesome Christmas tree there. And I did the big lights thing at Hollywood Studios. That was spectacular!! I can't wait to see Main Street all deocorated!!