Sunday, November 7, 2010

It Sucks Getting Old

Love the title of this post or what? Well, it's true and the reason being is that every year you lose yet another loved one.

My Uncle Delmer Bates died today. I woke up to a phone call from my Aunt breaking the news to me and telling me to call my Mom and break the news to her.

Sucky..long..time.

Uncle Delmer hasn't been in good shape the last few years(suffering from Parkinson's) and we knew he didn't have much longer but that still doesn't ease the pain.

Here he is meeting Brad for the first time at our Arkansas wedding reception.

If you're new here then you may not know that my Mom's family is super close. She's the baby of six kids and all of her siblings are much older than her and treat her as their own child.

Last year -- almost -- to the day we lost my Uncle Gary. Seriously...Uncle Gary was buried on the 9th of November and it's likely that Uncle Delmer's funeral will be this Tuesday - the 9th.

Uncle Gary was the first of the six to pass away. He died after going into cardiac arrest as the result of a snake bite.

Now -- a year later the number goes to four.

Here is one of the last pictures of the six siblings. Uncle Gary is the one in the brown shirt and Delmer in the veteran hat.

I'm flying out to Hot Springs, Arkansas here in a few hours. I'm meeting up with my Mom in the Atlanta airport and we fly together.
Prayers for our family please. RIP Delmer Bates. You were a GREAT man!! Love you!
I'll be taking some time off from here. More later.

15 comments:

I Do Declare said...

I am so sorry for you + your family!

The Jones Family said...

So sorry for your families loss! Prayers coming your way...

Anonymous said...

i will keep you & your family in my thoughts & prayers.

Allyson and Dave said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I just had to go to a funeral today for a childhood friend of Dave's. He was only 37. No matter the age or condition it is always hard to let someone go. All you can do is know that he is in a better place and remember all the good times you had together.

Dee said...

I'm so sorry honey! Know that I'm thinking of you!

The Lenzers said...

hugs, kisses, and prayers....hang in there dee!

donatelli98 said...

Sorry Dee - Glad you are able to go back and be there for your mom! Your family is in my prayers!

Monica said...

So sorry to hear this. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Nikki said...

I'm so sorry. I feel the same way lately. Every seems to have cancer our some other ailment that takes them away from me.

I'm so glad you can be with your family during this time.

The Rand's said...

Sorry for you loss, Dee! Prayers!

Mandy said...

So so sorry to hear the sad news...will be thinking of you and your fam!

Sara said...

Just catching up - I'm so sorry for you and your family! Prayers and good thoughts to you all!

love jenny xoxo said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, you and your family are in my thoughts.

MCW said...

I am sorry sweetie. It does stink as we get older, our loved ones have to too. Hug to you. xoxo

teresa-bug said...

So sorry to hear this!!! Thinking about you!