Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mardi Gras Mambo!

As most of you know I spent most of my life in South Louisiana except for a few high school years in Arkansas.

Baton Rouge to be exact. While BR isn't any NOLA during Mardi Gras people still get into it as they do in most Louisiana cities and towns.

Mardi Gras rally ramps up this weekend with the big parades starting on Saturday night. Ahh.. my best memories are from college but a few from younger years too.

Here's a look back as I just ran onto a few pictures and items recently.
Check me out here. I was 5-years old here - this was our Brownie(Girl Scout)parade. You can tell my parents aren't originally from La. because I should have had some cool costume to wear but instead just an old t-shirt.

Random.. but this is my most recent Mardi Gras/Louisiana item I received. Someone gave it to me for our bar shower but because everything was thrown into the trunk I'm not totally certain who gave it? Maybe my SIL? That's what it appeared?? It's a garter adorned with a fleur de lis and Mardi Gras colors..
I just LOVES it! Especially since we're getting married the week of MG!

Now onto the item that resulted in this post. When I was at my parents house last month we found a bunch of my old things from Jr. High and High School.

Well, here's one of them. A shirt from my 9th grade year. My friend Aimee's Maw Maw hand painted me, her and another friend, these shirts to wear to school. Remember those days when it was cool to match?
Can't believe my Mom saved this but oh how cool!

She even painted our names on the back! My Mom insists that I keep it for fun and to wear around the house this weekend. LOL!

The even cooler part? After seeing this shirt it had me thinking about that friend Aimee. Haven't talked her since high school.
It prompted me to find her on Facebook and guess what? Her Maw Maw is still alive and well! I couldn't resist telling her about the shirt.
Well, Happy Thursday!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I'd seen that garter...I would have bought it but no...not from me :(

Dee Stephens said...

I'm thinking it's from Ashley then. She's a Mississippi/Texas girl..
She's riding in a parade this weekend..

The Jones Family said...

How fun! Cuteness...

I love looking back at old stuff. Gotta love FB too :)

Dee said...

I miss going to the Mardi Gras parades! Most people freak out when I tell them that the kids get out of school for Mardi Gras!! Are you getting married this year for MG?? If so...holy crap I would be freaking out lol!

Dee Stephens said...

We are getting married the weekend after MG..

The Lenzers said...

I love MD, even loved it more when i lived in NO for 8 months or so. I just recently tossed out a bunch of beads while cleaning out!

starnes family said...

That garter is precious.

A mardi gras week wedding. Love that!

Amber said...

Oh my gosh you know I love this post. That pic of you in the parade is priceless... as is the shirt! Oh and the garter is pretty fabulous too! :-) XOXO

Sara said...

So fun! I love looking back at old stuff.

I got kicked out of Brownies. Never made it to a Girl Scout.

Alexis said...

Dee, I made the garter just for you :-)