Sunday, March 29, 2009

Perspective........


So, two posts in one day. Am I big or what?

I had to after my experience while volunteering at the USO Center at the Charlotte Airport tonight.

I generally work in the kitchen but tonight I worked the front desk checking people in. We see all sorts of people come through from retired, cadets, guys who just stepped off the plane from Iraq or Afghanistan(we make a big about that).

Tonight though I had a woman check in and when I asked her if she was military or a dependent(family member of one), she said 'well, i'm a surviving spouse am I allowed to come in?'. I said well sure you still have ID(military ID) and she yes.

What I didn't realize is that she had just gotten back from his funeral.......

She then broke down and started crying and it was her comment to me that 'after they are gone people forget about the families' that hit me.

I don't care if you agree with the war or not - but there are men and women defending this country everyday and we should all be aware and not take that for granted.

Another reason I treasure being a volunteer at the USO and not only help support the Troops but their families as well.

2 comments:

The Lenzers said...

that is so rewarding...good for you for volunteering for such a wonderful cause. as more and more time goes by, it seems we hear less about all the men and women defending us overseas. we should all try to remember them everyday

starnes family said...

Well said, Dee. Proud of you for your hard work!