Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Saying Yes

I've done it for years and I'm doing it again. Signing up, volunteering for all sorts of 'stuff'. I always get excited and sign myself up, then panic! But I always seem to pull it off.

Let's take a look back:

High School: I was in pageants and typically ones that had you doing a community service project. At age 15 I planned an entire fashion show luncheon to raise money for a school in town that served developmentally disabled.
I sometimes forget about this until my Mother reminds me. Flyers, ticket sales, getting the store to participate, finding models, entertainment, the venue, the mneu etc. WHEW!

College: See above. Not only was I an officer in my sorority but I was chairman of our Jazz Fashion Show Luncheon for 2 years in a row.

After College: In the 13-years since I graduated from college I have been involved in Jr. League, my sorority alumni group(in every city I've lived in), and the LSU Alumni group(in every city I've lived in.), not to mention my volunteer work with the USO.
In most of these I've been an officer and/or volunteered to head up a committee, etc.

BUT.. in the last 5-years I've taken a break at signing up for leadership positions because -- to be honest-- I had enough going on with work.
I was not only doing a full-time job but also producing a show for a Senator then a show for PBS and both had me in a scram to books guests, etc.
About the time I stopped working on that show, I started planning a wedding which had me scramming around again.

Now that the wedding is over and I'm catching my breath what do I do? Volunteer for a LEADERSHIP role with the Jr. League! YIKES!!!!!
WTH was I thinking??
It's a role that has me producing a video and getting items ready for our 85th anniversary this year! All within a month!

I was talking to Brad about it last night and asked him why I always say yes to these things?

His response? "You like the 'rush'."

I thought about it and he's right. I think I enjoy the adrenaline rush of it all. I know that's why I spent so many years in TV news. I liked the 'rush', deadline part of it all.
Am I the only one like this??
Anyhoo...I'm semi-panicked with my new role but at the same time I know it will be fine and it will all go down.
Happy Humpday!

9 comments:

The Jones Family said...

I think that is awesome! Have fun with it all and good luck!

I'maNolaGirl said...

I'm the exact same way! It's like I have a fear of not being overprogrammed!

Good luck on your newest role!

Little Match Girl said...

I think it will be great! Good luck!

MCW said...

Busy girl...I feel like I don't have time to do all of that volunteering. I am busy enough with my social calendar...you make me feel guilty!

The Soladay Family said...

Good luck with your new challenge! That's what makes life interesting!

The Lenzers said...

kuddos to you on all your volunteering! I , too, like the pressure of a deadline and beeing super busy. you kind of get off on it. I am sure that your project will be great!!

Sara said...

Good luck!!! You'll pull it off without a problem.

I'm in the midst of planning one of our big events for JL right now too. It's wearing me out already and the event isn't until October!! ugh.

SASS said...

Holy commitments! Haha Bradster's comment. There is definitely a rush to it, that's for sure. And I can agree about the deadlines in terms of news- I love it, too! But I don't commit to much outside of school, internship, friends, and family. I'm kind of a hermit sometimes. Weird?

Jen said...

Sweetie, I'm the master of procrastination!! Always have been always will be. But you go girl, way to give your time and energy to all of these causes and organizations!

xo