Thursday, July 15, 2010

Gator at the Beach


Check this picture out!! This is for real! You can read the story here. The crazy part is -- my MIL emailed all of us about it before it hit the news. They've been in Hilton Head, SC all week with friends.

Here’s the email my MIL sent earlier this week:

“We head down to the beach today to hook up with B and S and see everyone out of the water and standing on the shore.

The life guards were screaming for everyone to move back because there was an alligator in the water.

They bring in the gator catchers and one guy with a baited pole walks out in the water up to his shoulders (insane), another guy gets on a jet ski to herd the gator toward the shore, and another guy stands on the shore with a pole and a noose.

It took them 2 hours to catch and wrap it up and then one guy flips it up over his shoulder and carries it off the beach. The sucker was 9 feet long! I always think about sharks and now I will have to add gators to my fear list!!

Oh, when they had whistled everyone out of the water, S said that she could see one head in the water facing away from the shore. It was B who was facing away from the shore and he doesn’t hear well. When he finally turned around and started out, the entire crowd cheered him."


Can you say freaky??? Only in the Carolinas?? We're headed to the beach Saturday and I will totally be cautious!

11 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Great, that's added to my list too now... if I ever make it back to a beach!

SCARY!

donatelli98 said...

How did it get there? Crazy - I have swam with my fair share of Gators in FL lakes - not any more!

Little Match Girl said...

That is a crazy story! Although I do wonder what happened to the gator? Be careful at the beach!

Sara said...

Dude- that thing had to weigh a ton! I can't believe the guy just flipped it over his shoulder. I would FREAK!

DSS said...

That is so crazy that a gator was in salt water. Egads! We aren't safe in the water at all anymore are we.

Be Safe!

Allyson and Dave said...

That is craziness!!!! I have heard of salt water crocs but not gators.

Melissa said...

That is too crazy--definitely never seen an alligator at the beach before but now I will be on the lookout! Enjoy your trip to the beach, hope you get to relax and work on your tan! :)

teresa-bug said...

That was SC...surely they don't have gators in NC?! {that is what I am telling myself anyway}

SASS said...

WTF?! That is crazy. Especially since that guy was up to his shoulders in that water!! Great pic!

The Lenzers said...

WTF!!!!!

The Rand's said...

That is just crazy and super scary!
Enjoy the beach!!