Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Highway Robbery


So, here's the photo that both Brad and I agreed on for our engagement announcement for our hometown papers. That's right hometown and hometown only.
Know why?

The Charlotte Observer wants $135 to run 100 words and our picture. Are you freaking kidding me??!!! Maybe it's because the world of print media is broke???!!

I know Hot Springs, Arkansas is smaller than Charlotte as well as Warrenton, Virginia but neither are Mayberry small -- and they're running it for FREE!

That's my rant for today. I thought about spending the $135 for a minute and then said forget it. I figure -- everyone here knows we're engaged anyway because of Facebook. Right?

BTW - here's the actual announcement:

Wallace-Stephens
Wally and Linda Wallace of McDonough, Georgia, are proud to announce the engagement of their daughter DeAnna Leigh Wallace to Bradley Scott Stephens, son of Joe and Becky Stephens of Salisbury, North Carolina.

DeAnna graduated from Lake Hamilton High School in Hot Springs, Arkansas and from there went on to graduate from Louisiana State University where she obtained her Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication. She is a member of the Junior League of Charlotte and volunteers with the USO of North Carolina. DeAnna works as an associate producer for Bank of America’s internal TV department and is the associate producer of the show Carolina Business Review that airs on PBS.

Brad graduated from Fauquier High School in Warrenton, Virginia. He went on to Virginia Tech where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance and a Bachelor of Science degree in Management. He is employed as a government contractor.

The wedding is planned for February in Charlotte, North Carolina.

5 comments:

Coco said...

I love it! I still read all the engagements and weddings in the Ft Worth Star Telegram.

Now just promise that you will pay to get your picture really big with lots of details of the wedding, no matter how much it costs? Deal?

(weddings, babies and funerals. they get ya everytime!)

starnes family said...

Lovely announcement. The printing world is a sad one. Such a lost art!

The Lenzers said...

What a great picture and article. Some people still get the newspaper for now-it won't be long before it is gone! How sad?? I can remember a time in my life when I judged my night by if I got home before the paper was out or not!

If the shoe FITZ said...

love it! I rememeber when we did our annoucement it was expensive! I couldn't believe it!
great pic too! so exciting!!!

Unknown said...

Very cool!