Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vacations: Big vs. Small

Tis’ the season – the season to start planning spring and summer and even fall vacations! Last year took the cake. We traveled to California twice, Arkansas, Bahamas and the mountains and beach more than I can count.

This year we don’t have any ‘big’ vacations planned……YET..
I say ‘yet’, because who knows what friend will get engaged and we’ll be back on a plane on our way back to California. HAHA!

Anyway – we have mini trips around the area planned so far. I’m sure in the fall we’ll get to Ohio to see our friends on Lake Erie and for sure we’re going to NOLA and Baton Rouge for an LSU game!

But…until then here’s what we have planned for the month of April.

Next weekend – my hiking buddy K and I are headed to Virginia to hike in the Grayson Highlands State Park – click here to read more. I have never hiked in VA at all so this should be great!

We are actually going to stay in West Jefferson, North Carolina. It's on the border of VA and is said to be loaded with cute shops, galleries, wine and more. That's what I'm talking about!
It's K's birthday weekend too and I think it's going to be perfect!

Then the next weekend Brad and I are finally going to bike the Virginia Creeper Trail in Abingdon, VA.
34-miles downhill!
Can't wait! Read more about it by clicking here.

Our plan is to stay in a bed and breakfast but Brad won't let me book it yet until we see if it's going to rain. The B&B has a 10-day cancellation policy.
Cross Your Fingers!

So, that's the start of our mini-vacations for the year. We also have two weddings that will take us back to VA. One in Richmond the other in the DC area. Yes.. yes.. I'll be looking up you bloggies that live in that area. I've already talked to I Do Declare.
Not to mention a beach trip with the Stephens clan.

All in all -- I'm excited about our mini-getaways versus something big this year. It will give us a chance to explore more of the region we live in.
What do you prefer? One or two big vacations or a bunch of mini ones?

19 comments:

Liz said...

I feel like I'm always planning our next vacation! I'm addicted to traveling. Your mini vacas sound lovely!

MHM1314 said...

I'm going to the Bahamas in 16 days! Any good restaurant recommendations?

I Do Declare said...

I can't wait til you come to DC! We should do a meet-up: Red, White + Blog!

Heather said...

These sound like fun trips!

The Jones Family said...

We've been busy planning our first Starnes family vaca with my side and I'm excited!

We typically do a number of small vaca's throughout the year and we're happy with that. A vaca is a vaca so we take any opportunity to make it just that!

We have a small trip planned for to kick off summer vaca, along with my birthday, the first week of June but that's a surprise for the kids :)

You guys do so many great things too; just enjoy them all, as I know you do!

DSS said...

Have you ever been to the Abingdon Winery? It is absolutely gorgeous, and the wine is great! You could get lunch from the tasting room and sit on their patio overlooking the stream. It's so sweet. We definitely want to go back this summer :)

donatelli98 said...

Sounds like fun Dee!!

MCW said...

I prefer a bunch of little vacations! I LOVE getting away for the weekends.

Allyson and Dave said...

I will take a vacation anyway I can get it!! I looking into a girls trip to Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria in late Sept. now. I have always want to explore that area. Dave has been many times so I don't think he will mind me going without him.

Unknown said...

i LOVE mini vacations! they create way less work-related stress and are still such a treat :) just found your blog and love it!

Unknown said...

I need to start planning details for our trip to Greece and Seattle this summer. Once we booked, I slacked-ha! I want to do a red, white + blog when you come to DC!!! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures.

The Lenzers said...

at this point I love any vacation!!! I love hearing all about your travels. With kids sometimes shorter is easier, but on the other hand it is a lot of work and you feel like you should stay longer.

Sara said...

I love Abingdon!! I think I told you that I used to travel to Marion, VA all the time. We stayed in Abingdon a lot b/c there was nothing in Marion. Such a cute town and gorgeous!

We have no trips planned for this Spring or Summer :( Might try to hit the TX coast before baby comes in July, but we'll see how I'm feeling.

Our next big trip is to New York in September and we'll be taking along a 2 month old and a 2 year old. Lord help me!!!

Can't wait to hear about your hike. Sounds fabulous!

teresa-bug said...

I don't do either often enough!!! I think I need to plan a mini-vacation at some point this year. Someplace new...and fun! Hmmm....

RiverCityWallers said...

I know who's wedding is in Richmond!!! :) So excited!!
And the creeper trail is GREAT!! My family met at a cabin in Abingdon one year for Thanksgiving since it is halfway from Richmond to Nashville and we had beautiful weather so we walked a portion of the trail and it was beautiful! Have fun guys!

FROGGITY! said...

looks wonderful! awesome. i sure love travel!! you look like y'all are doing it right.

i am sad we can't meet up at the bridge run, but i am sure it will happen one of these days! :)

we are going down to miami to visit in may... we are right on the beach and i am pumped!

Nikki said...

I'm jealous! I want your vacay schedule ;)

starnes family said...

I'm all about exploring the area you live in as you do. So, I really like both.....big and small. Now that we live near the beach, we certainly feel less of a need to travel! It's kind of like vaca every day here.

Mrs. Potts said...

It seems like we're always planning for our next trip. We're trying to get to NOLA over Memorial Day & perhaps Seattle over Labor Day.

The bike ride sounds fun!