Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RIP Maw Maw

It seems I've written a lot of these posts over the past few years I've been blogging.
It's sad
Very sad.
I know it's part of life and people get old and die but it seems to be happening at a rapid pace in my family.
3 uncles, 2 aunts, and now a grandmother --in the past three years.
Too much friends.
TOO MUCH.
The only biological grandmother that I EVER knew passed away today. She was 95-years old. While I knew her time was limited it was one of those things I never thought about. Maw Maw was always AROUND.
She's been there my whole life.
That's why it was terribly hard to see her lying there not responding on Saturday.

This post is not to dwell on what wasn't, because I truly feel I spent a lot of quality time with Maw Maw.

As I always do,here are a few highlights:
* She always came for every Thanksgiving growing up. She cooked and forced me at small age to get in the kitchen to learn how she was doing it all.
* She brought chocolate/vanilla pinwheel cookies every time she came to visit.
* One year she came to stay with us for a week while our parents went on vacation and I'll never forget how strict she was! YIKES
* I remember the first time we ever ate boiled crawfish at our house in Baton Rouge she was there. She had to be taught how to peel and eat.
* She made a mean biscuit and gravy. That was my favorite meal she ever made.

In Germany in 1977.
* Her favorite sayings? 'Well, that's just the way it goes.', and 'Well, I can't be worried.' It's almost a funny saying in our family now but one I will pass on to my kids. My brother's kids know it like the back of their hand.

* I spent a ton of nights at her house and would sleep in the bed with her. She used to study her BIBLE class book and snore like there was no tomorrow.
* Those weeks I would spend with her are some my fondest memories. I would spend my time catching lightning bugs, eating ice cream cones out of her freezer, and filling up empty egg cartons with dirt...AND best of all? Climbing the tree in her front yard.
In more recent years I remember:
* Traveling from Charlotte to Seattle with her. We rode in first class on the way home and she was so excited she saved the salt and pepper shaker.
* Walking from my Aunt's house to hers one morning with Buddy and startling her. She had no idea who I was with my baseball cap on. She took Buddy in and fed him bread and scraps! HA!

Geez..

Maw Maw could be a strict, hard Grandma too but that came with a lot with what she had been through in her life. Rightly so. That's for another post.

For now --I'm here to celebrate her life!! WOWZERS!95 years friends!! LOVE you Maw Maw.
It will be hard to drive by your house in Hot Springs and not get sad.
For now...
More old pictures of Maw Maw when she came to visit us when we lived in Germany in the 1970's. My cousin Katie gave these to us tonight.

My brother and Mom with Maw Maw


Thanks for all you kind words.

23 comments:

MCW said...

Again, I am so sorry. Glad you got to see her this weekend. She loved you tons and you were lucky to have her!

Dee said...

I'm thinking of you boo! Hugs!

Jo said...

Oh Dee, I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful influence in your life. Her sayings, recipes and lessons will live on in you and passed along to your children.

Thinking of you~
Jo

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & your family.

Annie said...

Thinking of you my dear!!

The Jones Family said...

Thinking of you and your sweet family during this time!

I Do Declare said...

I got teary reading this. What a great grandmother she must have been. I loved all your memories. I've no doubt she was SO proud of you!

Sara said...

So sorry, Dee! Happy that you got to see her this past weekend. Grandparents are such a treasure - glad that you have so many wonderful memories with your Maw-Maw. Prayers to you and the fam during this time!

Sunshine In The City said...

So sorry Dee! Cherish your memories!

Summer Athena said...

darlin girl, my heart aches for you. much love and i am here if you need a shoulder.

i am heading home this weekend. if you want me to get you something, let me know.

DSS said...

You know, I was thinking last night that you and your family seemed to have suffered so much loss lately. Seeing you write it out like that makes it so overwhelming. I know losing anyone is hard, especially a grandmother. But to lose her on top of so many other loves. Wow.

Thinking of you and your family Dee!!

xoxo,
T

Little Match Girl said...

Dee, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Monica said...

There are no words that will make it better. Just know I'm thinking about you and praying for you during this difficult time.

Ashley said...

95 is a LONG life! I am so sorry you have lost her. I hope all the memories stay with you forever!
xox

Nikki said...

What a wonderful Maw Maw. I'm so glad you have great memories to keep her alive. Hang in there dear.

*hugs*

FROGGITY! said...

I am SO sorry to hear this! I am way behind on the blogs... but I wanted to stop by and see how you are...I know your heart must be broken. :( Praying for y'all.

Lyns said...

What a sweet post, Dee. Sorry to read this, but what wonderful memories. The salt and pepper story touched my heart!

Alayna said...

As my mom says, It's like the "original" generation is leaving. Very sad. We will all miss Gracie. Sorry for you all.

donatelli98 said...

As I said on FB - sending lots of hugs and prayers your way my friend!!

Mrs. Potts said...

Aww, sweetie, I'm so so sorry. I'm so glad for you that you were able to spend so much time with her & have so many wonderful memories.

xo

Emily said...

Oh my heart goes out to you! Grandmothers are the most precious people. It's good that you had lots of quality time with her and can hold on to those memories forever. :) Prayers to you and your family.
x

LSUgirl765 said...

Dee... so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

teresa-bug said...

I feel a little out of touch...but I am so sorry to hear this. You are lucky to have such great memories of you grandma...they will be with you always.

xo