Thursday, May 21, 2009

Race Weekend/Speed Street and My Weekend Plans


It’s officially the big race weekend here in Charlotte, the Coca-Cola 600 will be held out at the speedway on Sunday and it is officially the longest race of the year. 600 laps!

With the race comes the annual Speed Street festival, that lasts until through Saturday, brings with it a long of carney food and fun as well as some pretty good music. There are two stages – one country and one rock.

This year’s acts include: Bell Biv DeVoe(yes, they’re still around), along with Simplified, Lifehouse, Gavin DeGraw, Clint Black, Rodney Atkins and others. The best part is it’s free if you’re willing to fight the crowds of rednecks that emerge onto our city this time of year.

You can see what I’m talking about in the photos below. I went out on the streets during my lunch-break and it’s funny to see all the bankers in the same area with all the race fans. People wait in lines for little bags of M&Ms that are given out and a lot of other schwag aka junk.

My weekend plans ‘might’ include one night of Speed Street but not totally for sure. We’re leaving to go up to the lake tonight and then tomorrow we’re hiking at Hanging Rock State Park. Then we’ll spend some time on the lake before returning late Saturday. From there we’re going to some party and who knows what.

I did get a call from my b/f/f Dawn in NOLA and she says she’s driving up here late..late..Saturday and will spend Sunday through Wednesday here in Charlotte.. YAY!
We are going to hike Mount Jefferson on Monday! Should be a good time.. more on that and the rest of the weekend to come.

For now – sights from Speed Street 2009.

Yes, a Budweiser bar that they've rolled up on the street in front of the BofA Corporate Center!

The crowds.. this is nothing.. wait until tonight!

One of two music stages.

Typical race fans....

then you've got your bankers.. what a combo!

people waiting in line for free junk!

3 comments:

Domestic Diva said...

Hi there! I am a new follower. I just loved your Dr. Phil comment and had to come see. Have a fabulous long weekend.
xxxxx me
Also I would love to send an invite to my blog!!

The Lenzers said...

those race fans are CRAZY!!! hope you have a good weekend-unfortunately mine is not going to be as exciting!!

starnes family said...

Casey + carney food = love.