Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Meetup.com


Having moved several times in my life I’ve always been innovative in the ways I meet new people in each city. The same thing goes for Charlotte – except I wasn’t new to the city!

See—I love to hike and was just devastated to find out my friend and hiking partner Kara and her hubby Chris were moving to Tampa. What was I to do? How was I going to meet another girl that enjoys hiking and the mountains as much as I do and is in shape enough to do some more strenuous trails?

That’s how I found the site Meetup.com

I found a local hiking group on there and decided that I would go and meet them for a day hike in the Pisgah National Forest.

Well, I met 3 awesome women, one whom I hike all the time with now, the other I’m most likely going hiking with on Memorial Day, and the other is literally – Charlotte’s Woman of the Year this(no kidding).

The point of this post is – meetup.com is in every city – if you’re looking for people that enjoy doing the same things you like to do go to this site and put in your zip code and your interest and most likely they’ll have something for you.

I’m talking everything from mountain biking, to Mommy groups, dining out groups(people who like to try new restaurants), it’s a great way to meet new people and make new friends all while enjoying doing the things you love to do.

Click here to get to meetup.com

Good Luck!
(BTW-I included a funny picture of me and my friend Kara(who moved to Tampa) back in 2002 – our very first hike together)

The hike group --last June.


Hiking Pisgah -- I have to say -- it was hot and part of this group literally ran up the mountain. I had Buddy and was lagging behind..

The 3 women I met that day. Sue, me, Carol and Kelli.

Old picture of my hiking partner, Kara, who moved to Tampa. Come visit this summer and let's do The Grandfather Trail Kara!!

7 comments:

donatelli98 said...

Thanks for the comments. I totally agree with you about walking/running/hiking outside but I live in the desert and it has been over 100 the last week - hence the need to take my workout indoors! I would absolutely love to live in Charlotte ... that's where hubby and I want to move someday!

teresa-bug said...

I am a fellow Charlottean who just found your blog!! I love to read local blogs!!

If the shoe FITZ said...

Meetup is super cool. Well..it seems cool. I always look from afar but haven't joined anything. I will someday! But I know a lot of people that have found great friends and groups through this site. And it's interesting to see all the different groups out there!

The Lenzers said...

I will have to try that website. I have lived here for 13 years (minus a few moves to other cities-including New Orleans) and I still need more friends. As your life changes, your needs/interests change too you know?! What beautiful mountains and trails there. I wouldn't mind walking so much if I had that to view. It's just nasty hot in TX!

teresa-bug said...

I do live in South Charlotte between South Park and the Arboretum. Thanks for the nice compliments on my guest room!

Domestic Diva said...

What a great way to meet friends. I love that area! North Carolina is really God's Country!
xxxx me

starnes family said...

Never heard of this site. Will check it out!