Monday, February 7, 2011

Early Anniversary Celebration in Charleston, SC

Despite rainy weather we had a fantabulous time in Charleston, South Carolina this weekend! On Wednesday night we decided to head out of town for the weekend for a sort of early one-year anniversary celebration. Love spontaneity!

Our actual anniversary is on 2.20.11 which is two weeks away.

This was Brad's first visit to Charleston believe it or not and my probably 10 or 12th visit in the past 10-years.

We drove through torrential downpours to arrive in town around 10pm. Our first stop -- the Blind Tiger.
Super cool place with this very funny sign. Sorry for the blurry picture.
It says:
"When I was your age we hiked 10-miles through the snow for sex and cigarettes"
HA!

Good times for sure. We stayed right near the open air market in the historic district so we were able to walk everywhere. The only way to do it in my opinion.
We hit up an Irish pub after we left the BT and randomly ran into a kid from Louisiana who was babysat by a girl I know here in Charlotte who is from the same town.
RANDOM fo sho!

The next morning we slept in and headed out to the market and to give Brad a tour of the city.

The open air market is full of all sorts of South Carolina treasures including the sweet grass baskets.
Made by Gullah natives these baskets are not on the cheap side but very cool and they take a long time to make.

Oops! I got scolded for taking these pictures. These men and women are VERY PROTECTIVE of their creations.
When I say these baskets aren't cheap -- this one here is sold for upwards of $300. Of course there is negotiating.

We stopped by the Moon Pie store.
I found something out about Brad I didn't know. He doesn't like Moon Pies.

But I do! As a kid my favorite flavor was banana. I passed on getting one this time. We had just eaten breakfast.

You could even get a Moon Pie sundae! That's what I'm talking about!

Afterwards we took one of those carriage tours through the city. It might seem cheesy but it's the best overview you can get if you've never been to Charleston. I literally think this was the 6th time I've been on one of these tours.
I don't mind though. It seems I learn something new every time.

Our tour guide was also a high school history teacher in the city.

Battery park. If you've never been to Charleston you must go. It's one of my favorites! I would choose it over Savannah any day of the week.

Beautiful homes that I can only dream of ever owning.

My pictures don't do it justice.
This is what they call 'Rainbow Row'. A little different than the one in my other favorite city, San Francisco.

Cobblestone streets.

After touring around we ate lunch at Henry's House where I enjoyed a fried green tomato BLT. To die for!
Pimento cheese, bacon, fried green tomato with lettuce. Perfection. I was semi-good though and went for the side salad instead of the sweet potato fries.

Later on in the evening we went to a nice dinner. Giving that our trip was last minute we weren't able to get reservations at any of the new hot spots in town and we went with a recommendation from the concierge at our hotel.
NOT A GOOD IDEA!
We were pointed to The Library restaurant at the Vendue Inn. I had been to the Vendue before but not the restaurant.

We were right on top of other people -- which I know some people may not mind but when you're trying to enjoy an anniversary dinner it's a little much.
The food was not good. My shrimp and grits? Weird. The put orange marmalade on top and the shrimp were half cooked. No seasoning.
This Louisiana girl needs some seasoning!

Oh well. Better choice next time.
Despite the rain -- we ventured onto a few more bars and enjoyed a few more cocktails.

Overall a great weekend and a much needed get away for Brad and I both. Now we're back at work and it's Monday.

12 comments:

Sara said...

I was just telling Trey that I want to go to Charleston. I've never been! Looks fabulous.

Glad y'all had a good time!! I can't believe it's already been a year?? Time flies.

Annie said...

Sounds like yall had a blast and got some much needed time away! I love Charleston. I'm sure you've been to the rooftop bar at Market Pavilion. Kevin and I love that place!

starnes family said...

Charleston looks like a darling town. The sandwich sounds delish!

I agree......city tours like the carriage ride are often the best resources. Love them!

MCW said...

So fun!
I think I am used to sitting on top of people since in NYC they smush as many tables as possible into a small space!

The Jones Family said...

Looks like it was a great weekend! My little bro loves Charelston, would move there in a heartbeat. I'll have to visit one day.

I too can't believe it's been a year already! :)

Girl in Carolina said...

That sandwich looks to die for!!! Also, I've had that same carriage tour guide! He's awesome isn't he!?? Glad y'all had fun and happy anniversary :)

Lindsay @ whimsy.girl said...

Oh my goodness, I want to live in one of those precious houses!! Love the cobblestone street, too!!

Anonymous said...

looks like y'all had FUN!

I Do Declare said...

Happy 1 Year! It looks like you had a great time! Dan has never been to Charleston, and I LOVE it -I hope we get to go later this year!

Nikki said...

My friends and I were talking about doing a "we're 30" trip to the Carolinas since none of us have been. I'll be contacting you for some recommendations for sure!

The Lenzers said...

That sandwich looks great! Moon pies, I haven't had one of those in fo-eva! And the baskets....are you freaking kidding me. For $300 that puppy better be laced with gold! I will have to visit there sometime

Random Musings said...

Looks like you had fun!

I just had to ask my hubby what a moon pie was.

He was moaning at how good they are and I had NO idea what they were!