Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hiking the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Quick post with a lot of pictures.
As most of you know by now I love to hike and try and head to the NC/SC/VA/TN mountains as much as I can since they are so close to the Charlotte area.

Brad isn't really into hiking like I am but I have friends who are! This past weekend was me and my hiking bestie, Kelli's Fall hiking adventure.

Destination: Great Smoky Mountains National Park -- 3-hours from Charlotte but took us 4 1/2 due to a wildfire shutting down Highway 26 for an hour and half.

Here are some of the highlights.
Sorry for the blurry picture..

Cheesy tourist photo. It was my 4th time to the park but Kelli's first. Yes, I was dressed up for game day. We got off the trail just in time to see my LSU Tigers lose to Auburn. Boohoo.

We chose the 8-mile Charlie's Bunion hike along the Appalachian Trail in the park. Giving that it was a peak weekend to see leaves the trail was pretty crowded despite the fact it was labeled strenuous.
Panoramic Views of the Smoky Mountains on this trail!

Gorgeous!! Colorful!

On top of Charlie's Bunion!! Super High Up!

We had a picnic lunch up here and enjoyed the view!



Pretty tree in Bryson City, NC where we stayed. No we don't camp.

Instead we're day hikers.

The next day we headed down to another area of the park to see the Road to Nowhere. It seriously just ends and there's tons of hiking trails.
Me and my coffee.

People ride horses down these trails..

Fontana Lake! Beautiful!

Deep Creek Hike. Tom Branch Falls

More falls on this hike.

Overall 14 miles in 2 days. I feel awesome and am trying to keep up the exercise on a daily basis with at least 3 miles a day.
I'll leave you with some Fall sights from Bryson City.

Happy Fall Ya'll!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!

The Lenzers said...

Oh my, I heart fall! I have got to take up hiking. You should plan a hike for the bloggies

Allyson and Dave said...

I love it there!!! We were just talking about going to Gaitlinburg or Ashville when we are up there for Christmas.

The Jones Family said...

It's SO beautiful! I want to go now :)

MCW said...

You have the best weekend adventures!!! xo

I Wonder Wye said...

thanks for the shots! The fall colors are awesome. The photos of the falls are exquisite.

donatelli98 said...

Yes plan a hike for the bloggies for next fall! I'll room with my cousin Jann! Love the views and I am so like you - a day hiker - I don't camp either!! Good job on the many miles!!

starnes family said...

Train! (have to)

Gorgeous colors. I'm missing that!

Great hiking, Dee.

Sara said...

Gorgeous pictures!! So glad you could get away for awhile and enjoy yourself. And I'm with you - day hiking is my thing. No camping!! :)


I wish there were places close by in TX to hike. That's my favorite thing to do in Colorado in the summer time.

{Kimber} said...

very beautiful...I love the Smokies
we used to go every year at the end of October
I'm glad I got to see it, at least through your pics this year :)

yes...MAJOR boo on the loss to Auburn...that Cam Newton was just WOW

Unknown said...

ok i'd LOVE to be on that trail! - i gotta do some hiking soon before it get's too cold!

Nikki said...

Beautiful fall colors! What a perfect day. All our fall colors are soggy with rain. So sad.

Mandy said...

Beautiful fall pics!Looks like a fab weekend. The fall foliage here in Bulgaria is surprisingly not half bad. I think you would love the hiking. I took some pics on a recent mini-hike. As soon as our things arrive with the camera cord I'll get them posted on my page. Hope you guys are well!

I Do Declare said...

I miss the Smoky Mountains in the Fall!!

Kelly Beatty said...

Dee, Brian and I just got back from a trip to the Smoky Mountains too! First, we went to Ellijay, GA and then up to North Carolina. It was so beautiful. I see how you are in LUV with the Mountains. Except, check it: Brian booked us in a campground with no showers. OMG.