Friday, May 21, 2010

Wicked = Overrated


I have been to a lot of Broadway shows but I'm going to be honest -- last night's showing of Wicked here in Charlotte just didn't live up to all the hype.

I think a lot of it had to do with the theater it was held in. It's not the big theater that they normally have these shows but instead a smaller one outside of Uptown Charlotte. I have seen shows here before and just about everytime I'm disappointed.(I saw The Producers there and LOVED it). I think it's the acoustics?

Anyhoo -- Brad and I both agreed that it was a bit slow moving and we enjoyed Jersey Boys MUCH better.

I'm sure if I saw it on Broadway in NYC I would think different but for now this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Heading to West VA this afternoon for Kathleen's baby shower! More on that next week. Have a GREAT weekend blogging peeps!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now that sucks! Hope you have a great weekend!

Mrs. Potts said...

I saw that the last time it was here in CLT. I was disappointed with the acoustics too & just wish I'd been able to see it the last time I was in NYC. I saw RENT instead, which was wonderful, but I would have loved seeing Wicked there.

Safe travels to WVA!

Little Match Girl said...

I have seen Wicked on Broadway and it is wonderful! I hope you get a chance to do so and maybe change your mind. :-)

The Jones Family said...

Oh man, I'm praying it was just the theater and the sound. I got tickets for my bday and am still excited to see it though :)

Have a great weekend!

Moni said...

Hey Dee...came over from Casey's blog! Love your wedding pic! And yes, I am sure it was the theatre...saw it in NYC in December and it was fantastic. I should add that I didn't want to see it and my mom and sis dragged me to it. Now it is my fave!

Sara said...

I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's awesome! Maybe it was the theatre? That stinks.

Don't you hate when you build something up so much and then it doesn't live up to the hype?? Hate that. Kind of like New Years Eve most years!

Have fun in WVA. Hope she likes the bag and goodies!!

starnes family said...

I've heard the same from some people, too. Lots of hype, but that it didn't live up. Sorry. :(

teresa-bug said...

NOOOO! I am going in June and spent a small fortune on my ticket. Bummer!

{Kimber} said...

awwwww boo!! we totally loved it but I have nothing to compare it to...it's the only one I've ever been to!!

The Soladay Family said...

That stinks. I have been wanting to see it.

Have a great weekend too!

Allyson and Dave said...

I am glad I am not the only one who did not like Wicked. I almost fell asleep and begged Dave to leave during intermission. I cannot believe I made it all the way to the end. I think it is the music that put me to sleep.

The Rand's said...

That stinks about Wicked!

Hope you have a great weekend!

The Lenzers said...

well that sucks!!! have fun at the shower

MCW said...

Read the book...hard to get through. So, I don't even have the urge to see the play!