Monday, August 9, 2010

Callaway Gardens Weekend

Hello blogging peeps!! GREAT weekend!! Hope you had a fabulous one too!! I drove down to Atlanta Friday afternoon and Saturday morning we got up and out early and down to Callaway Gardens.

My first trip here and I was excited!! I just LOVE..LOVE exploring new areas! This is a GREAT place for families!! I don't have one quite yet but I'm a nerd and love stuff like this anyway!

Beautiful grounds! There's golf, tennis, biking, hiking..you name it!!

Beautiful lakes throughout the property. Callaway Gardens sits right outside Roosevelt's Warm Springs and the mountains that make up the FDR State Park(more on that later).

We packed a picnic lunch before we left Atlanta and enjoyed it when we got there at one of CG's picnic areas. I love eating outside!

Don't you love Mom's hat?? I talked her into it! ;-)
Ready for a little bike ride action! The best way to see Callaway Gardens!! It was hot.. but not crazy hot.
About 90-degrees.

Hello outdoors!! Yes, I'm obsessed with this NIKE bag. I know you've seen me carry it in other pictures.
I've had it for 10-years and it's great for outdoor activities..and concerts :)

Along the path. Mom was a little scared at first because she hasn't been on a bike in 10-years but she did okay overall.
Tough time with hills but I was proud of her!!


One of our stops along the bike path was to see the chapel. They had someone playing the organ inside so we stopped for a bit to check it out.

It sits on this body of water.

We chilled for a bit. Literally.... They had the A/C popping in there.

After exploring the gardens we headed back to the hotel and poured some wine and chilled at the pool.
We enjoyed a bottle of white my Mom still had from our Germany trip several years ago.

And later on...
We enjoyed a nice dinner at the Lodge restaurant. We celebrated my birthday early!!


I forgot about soup and indulged in fried green tomatoes!

And.. shrimp and grits!


The next morning we got up and checked out Roosevelt State Park! We didn't have enough time to hike or anything but I wanted to stop and get some information for a future visit. I had been to the area before when visiting Warm Springs and saw FDR's Little White House. Something worth checking out if you're ever in the area and like history.

This park, like a lot of other state parks, was built during the Great Depression.

They were actually built by the CCC. Read about them here.
I'm not going to lie. I don't remember learning about this but my Mom was exicted about the exhibit inside the information center because my grandfather worked with the CCC.

He helped build one or more of the state parks in the Quachita National Forest outside Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Very cool or what?
How was your weekend? Again, if you ever get down to this area in Georgia.. check it out! I hope to get back to Callaway in the Spring when everything is in full bloom. Maybe I'll even get to hike at Roosevelt SP!!
Happy Monday!!

15 comments:

MCW said...

You and your mom are so cute! Look so much alike...I love shrimp and grits!

{Kimber} said...

both beautiful ladies!! there is no denying y'all are mother/daughter for sure!

looks like a great weekend!

Little Match Girl said...

You guys look so adorable! Looks like such a fun weekend!

donatelli98 said...

Looks like fun and you look so good! Your mom is so cute!!

Mrs. Potts said...

It looks like you had a wonderful weekend! You and your mom are so similar!!

starnes family said...

I love all of the historical notes you included in this post. Looks like a gorgeous place to visit. Your mom is darling. And, you look great!

Anonymous said...

Glad y'all had a great time!

FROGGITY! said...

yum to the food!!! and aren't y'all so gorgeous. that just sounds like too much fun!

The Rand's said...

Looks like a great weekend! You and your mom are so precious, and love that you all spend time together.

The Jones Family said...

I second that, Lish... you and your mom are ADORABLE!

What a neat place!

Allyson and Dave said...

I remember going to Callaway Gardens when I was about 10. The only vivid memory I have is that the place we stayed in had a mini fridge stocked full of candy.

In those first few pictures of your Mom it looks like she has her hair in braids with the way her hair hits her shirt. I had to look a few times to realize it was her shirt and not her hair.

Yellow Beads said...

you and your mom look so much alike! very cute!! :)

The Lenzers said...

that place is beauiful!!!!! and the food, yummy! you and your mom are so cute!

Sara said...

What a great place!! Love the bike riding too. And you and your mom look so much alike. Fun trip!

SASS said...

SO FUN! I need a weekend getaway...your dinner made me hungry. And I love your skirt/tan ensemble! Supah cute. Enjoy that time with your momma! I wish I could do active things with mine. Pushing her around for exercise is close enough ;)