Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Unbelievable

You would have to be living under a rock if you haven’t heard the news that Osama Bin Laden was finally killed. Can you freaking believe it? It’s still unbelievable to me that it’s been 10-years and 6 of those years OBL has been living in a posh suburban neighborhood and no one knew it?

Most of you know that my background is TV news so, of course, I have/am obsessed with this story. I’ve read.read.watched.watched…
It’s truly fascinating to me.
Remember this post last year around this time? A high school classmate of mine, who was a Navy Seal, was killed in Afghanistan. The story really hit home. He had been on MULTIPLE tours of duty to the region. I became VERY interested in Navy Seals and read just about everything I could get my hands on. I’m even a fan of them on Facebook along with being a fan of Marcus Luttrell’s story. If you aren’t familiar then watch this Today Show interview. AMAZING.

So, when I heard that it was Seal Team Six that was on this mission I wasn’t surprised.


Can you say BAD ASSES??!! Seriously.. there’s no other word for them except Ninjas!
Check out this link at GMA's site today for more on Team Six.

 Photo courtesy of Reuters

I've also been totally intrigued by the fact that the National Security Team watched the whole raid and killing live via web cams.
Have you seen these pictures that the White House released of The Situation Room?

Chilling if you ask me. Truly.  Sort of like the picture of George W. Bush's face when his aide whispered in his ear at that grammar school on 9/11.  Remember that photo?
I don't like to get too political on here but I will say that I have mixed emotions about all the celebrations that were/are being held across America in celebration of Osama's death.

Yes, it's a good thing but I'm not sure the images are looked upon very well in other countries and I'm afraid of retaliation.
What are your thoughts? Are you obsessed with the story too?
BTW --We went to bed early Sunday night and I had no idea what had happened until I turned to the TV on Monday morning.
I was in Shock!

12 comments:

Nikki said...

We were about 5 centimeteres dialted when we heard the news ;) I took a photo of the tv screen, but I didn't celebrate. I have mixed feelings, and I know there is someone just waiting to fill his shoes.

donatelli98 said...

This is just one step in the war on terror. Still so much more to do. I kind of felt relief but fear too that we will get a little complacent. You know my politcal views ... super proud of our military and all of their hard work. As I mentioned on Casey's blog I can kind of understand the cheering if you had lost someone in the war and/or on 9/11 ... but in general no. The war is not over and that is the key.

I Do Declare said...

I have an Osama post for tomorrow...again, we're twins!

I found those Situation Room photos so fascinating, too, and also the fact that the Nat'l Security team could watch it in real time - that's just amazing.

I also have pause about all the public celebration (and politicizing - which is what I'm blogging about tomorrow). It's a lot like when people in other nations celebrated on 9/11. I think more of the world is happy that OBL is dead than they were that the USA was attacked, but I agree...it seems in slightly bad taste.

So sorry about your friend.

starnes family said...

Definitely bad asses.

And, I do remember that look on Bush's face. Never will forget it.

The Jones Family said...

Yes, they are bad asses! It's truly amazing all that they can do.

That picture of of Bush is something I too will never forget.

Mandy said...

I'm right there with you...but the whole thing makes me a little nervous too. That said, I've watched and read more than my fair share of news...

Sara said...

I think I'd be sitting in that room just like Hilary with my hand over my mouth. Can't imagine watching it all go down!

And yes - Navy Seals = badasses. I think I said that in my post today. Those guys are the best of the best.

love jenny xoxo said...

I feel the same way about the celebrations... i get it but it still makes me feel weird.

XOXO

DSS said...

Totally mixed feelings. I think that it is wonderful that he is dead, and that he will no longer be a threat to us. But still, I don't think having a party is really what I want to do.

Because really...there is still a terrible threat out there for all countries who are terrorist targets. And although thi swas definitely a victory, I think there is still much to fear.

I do hope that the famlies who lost loved ones in any of Osama's orchestrated attacks do feel some sort of peace, knowing he is no longer on this earth.

Jenny DB said...

Must have been a great sense of relief for the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 but I dont think its really something to celebrate, because the world is still a very scary place. Still, I am happy for our country, national security, and the Bad ASS Navy Seals - they rock!

I didn't know the NS team and our President watched from webcam. that picture is very interesting.. look at Clinton's face also! I wish I could see what they were seeing.. kindove.. maybe not!

Monica said...

I don't watch the news because it's just all depressing. However, I can't get away from this story. It's posted EVERYWHERE. All over FB, on the Yahoo! homepage, etc. I fear retaliation also. Osama is not the ONLY terrorist out there. He was just the mastermind for 9/11. I'm glad he is burning in hell.

Ashley said...

I have mixed feelings about the celebrations too. THAT photo of the Situation room is chilling!! Just crazy! Navy Seals are bad ass!!