Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cooking and Eating Light

I mentioned yesterday that it is 'Geaux Time' for Brad and I when it comes to eating and fitness.
We've slacked off for the past few weeks and it's no joke now.
Time to cook better and eat better.

Granted - we're not totally terrible.  I do cook a veggie for every meal and nothing is fried.
As you know I traveled for work last week and one of the first things Brad mentioned when I got home is that he needed me around so he would eat better.
BINGO!
So, right out of the box I cooked meatball and spinach no-sagna last night.
No, this isn't a picture of the one I made but instead one I found here on the community site for the Food Network. The girl who posted it found it here at this blog but decided to lighten it up.  Which I decided to do as well.
I used ground sirloin since I already had it in the house.
One word for this recipe.
YUMMY!
I served it with a side of green beans.
It will totally be part of our rotation from now on.  I made the big pan and we both have leftovers today for work and then some!

Here's my adaptation for this recipe - go to the links above for the real recipe.. again, we're trying to watch it.
Ingredients:

Meatballs
1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (I used very little for a lower carb meal)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley (a fistful of leaves), chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano (I used about ½ of this)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
2 can (14 ounces) chunky-style crushed tomatoes
1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese or Italian 4 cheese-blend

Spinach
1tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 10-ounce boxes chopped spinach, defrosted
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, for garnish

Preheat the broiler.

Place the ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl and punch a well into the center of the meat. Fill the well with the egg, bread crumbs, onion, half of the chopped garlic, half of the parsley, the Parmigiano and Romano cheese, and a little salt and pepper. Mix the meatball ingredients until well combined yet not overmixed. Divide into 4 equal parts, then roll each part into 5 balls. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Scoot the meatballs to the side of the skillet and add the remaining garlic and the red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, mix to combine. Shake the skillet to coat the meatballs in the sauce and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes more. While the meatballs are simmering, start the spinach.

Heat the medium-size skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the onion, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. While the onion is cooking, transfer the defrosted spinach to a clean kitchen towel and wring all the liquid out. Add the spinach and sprinkle with salt.

Spread the spinach mixture over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the meatballs and tomato sauce. Top that with the shredded provolone. Place under the preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat to melt and evenly brown the cheese about 3 minutes. Remove no-sagna from the broiler and garnish with lots of torn or shredded basil.

OTHER RECIPES:
Here are a few other recipes that I'm excited to try very soon.

200 Calorie Pizza- Carolina Girl posted this one today.

And, Brad saw this Pizza Fied Chicken recipe on the Food Network this weekend.  I will probably try it later this week.

What are some of your favorite 'light/healthy recipes'?
Share please!

17 comments:

DSS said...

That 200 calorie pizza looks fun! I've added it to my list of things we need to try :)

I saw the Hungry Girl show when she made that pizza fied chicken. TEN kept saying "that is NOT pizza. it is just toppings piled onto a piece of chicken". Clearly he has no imagination.

April of Smidge Of This said...

Wow Dee, come cook for me! :)

We usually eat healthy during the work-week ... one healthy protein and two veggies (no starch).

Trader Joe's makes an almond meal that comes in a bag ... it's just almonds crushed up to be the consistency of flour.

I dredge chicken breasts in milk or a beaten egg and then coat in the almond meal. You can then bake it (or pan fry in a little EVOO) and it's so dang tasty. Completely low-carb too!

Annie said...

Umm that looks delish!

Last night I sauteed green peppers and onion strips and cooked chicken strips. I poured the yellow curry thai sauce from Trader Joe's on it (500 calories in the whole bottle). Served it over a little jasmine rice.

Probably ended up being 400-500 calories total. Served with a side salad.

If the shoe FITZ said...

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/glazed-salmon-with-stir-fried-vegetables-10000000259102/

just found this in my SL cookbook under low calorie.
it's delish. i didn't get parsnip and i have changed up the veggies for what i have or want. some of the ingredients are random ( i had most on hand) but worth getting b/c i've made this already twice in the last few weeks.

also like (low calorie and low fat)
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-tacos-with-spicy-cream-sauce-10000000258579/
(i didn't use the entire sour cream sauce..too much for two people)

donatelli98 said...

that lasagna looks yummy - wonder if I could get my kids to eat it too??

nomo wino daph said...

Oh Dee, that looks awesome! I am always trying to make "good & yummy" recipes into healthy ones. I think you did great:)

LSUgirl765 said...

Eating healthy is always one of those things! You go girl! I can never stay on it for long. Way to inspire us all!

The Soladay Family said...

You are such a great very impressive.

We too do a veggie with each meal. Just the way Ryan and I were raised. Good eating habits start when lids are little, so you're going to a great mama!!

The Lenzers said...

that sounds yummy! I can't believe you cook like that during the week. We are eating alot of basics right now...vegie steamers and grilled/baked chicken breasts. I like chicken/broccoli orzo for a healthy light meal. basically cut up chicken into pieces and cook it with garlic and olive oil, add some chicken broth and broccoli. serve over orzo (which you can now find in whole wheat)

Nikki said...

THat looks SO GOOD!

Jo said...

Yum! I'm printing this one out.

I've been eating a lot of healthy salads with Kevin being gone so much. However, the wine is getting in the way of any weight loss!:)

Jo

starnes family said...

Sounds delish! I love a good, light recipe.

Ashley said...

yum. I bet the balls could be done with turkey too. I make turkey balls often. And, I love spinach.

Sara said...

Yum! That looks delish. I'll have to try that for sure.

One of my favorite light meals is a light chicken piccata. I use a little olive oil to brown the chicken and then add chicken broth, lemon, capers, artichokes and parsley. You have to thicken the sauce with a little flour. I serve with steamed broccoli or sometimes I'll throw cut up asparagus into the sauce mixture too. Delish! In fact, that's what we're having tonight. :) You can also serve with angel hair pasta or orzo if you're not watching carbs. Both are great!

The Engaged Life said...

Yum!
Strawberry Abita is one of my favorite beers, it is hard to find in Florida though!

Deviled Megs said...

oooh, looks delish! I am going to have to give this one a try, thanks for sharing!

I just got back from a work trip to San Fran where I think I ate my weight in Sourdough bread, so I need to get my (slightly larger than usual) butt back in gear as well ;)

KB said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe!

Please remember that it's not a wonderful idea to utilize other's photos especially when not giving credit.