Monday, April 4, 2011

Mountain Trip - Day One - West Jefferson, NC

Get ready – you’re subject to three days of mountain posts because I have a ton of pictures considering it was the first time I’ve been to and hiked in this particular part of Western NC and Virginia. Again, this blog is a sort of journal for me so I want to make sure I capture all the memories as I remember them. So, let’s begin with day one.

My friend Kelli and I both took Friday off and headed out early for the town of West Jefferson, NC where we stayed in Jeremy’s lodge on the property of a golf community called Jefferson Landing. If you’re in the area definitely worth looking into it’s both nice and clean and the people are friendly. Click here for more.
 
After checking in early we headed into downtown for lunch and that’s when the snow rolled in.

Yep.. April Fools on us! Snowing like crazy.
We ordered wine and lunch. Quiche for me and salad for Kelli.
This week is Kelli’s birthday so I took the opportunity to celebrate at lunch! A monogrammed makeup bag.

The snow didn’t stop so we decided we would wait until the next day to hike and explore West Jefferson. So, we shopped! Not a ton of stores but enough.

If you’re ever in West Jefferson you have to visit this old theater turned antique store. Super cute!

I just love the mountains. I wish I had a mountain house to decorate because I would be all about these lamps. Love the rustic décor.

We checked out the local cheese factory and shop. I love me some cheese but neither of us was overwhelmed by the cheeses here so we left empty handed. If you know me – that’s something!
Overall, cute downtown but not my favorite in Western NC. If you’ve been reading this blog for long you know we don’t head to the mountains to shop, drink and eat but instead our primary thing is hiking.

We typically try and find towns that have a few restaurants but our goal is to find a place that isn’t far from where we plan to hike.

After exploring we headed back to our room and looked at the map for what we could do that night. Giving that it’s only the first of April most of these mountain towns are not even back up and running for business because of the winter. That’s when we discovered that the River House Inn and Restaurant was celebrating their season reopening that night with a special menu and music.


It’s located up the road from W. Jefferson in Grassy Creek. Good thing I’m a cheese ball and like discovering new places like this. It would be fun to go back and stay here in the summer and kayak, fish and hike around. I think I might even be able to get Brad to sign on!

A few more sights from inside the River House Inn.
 

Afterwards we headed back and went to sleep in order to get ready for a day of hiking. Get ready for day two of this trip tomorrow! We head out hiking and that’s when it becomes a real adventure!! Until then! Happy Monday!

9 comments:

MCW said...

Sorry it snowed on your hiking parade :)

The Jones Family said...

Darn snow...

But it still looks like you girls had a fun weekend!

Nikki said...

Snow!? Good grief. I hope you ladies bundled up good. That quiche made my tummy rumble.

donatelli98 said...

Looks like fun and can't wait to hear about the real adventure tomorrow!

Jen said...

Oh how I love posts like this... it gives me ideas on where I want to go next for vacation! ;-)

Happy Monday Darling! xo

starnes family said...

Love your red hat. Super cute!

Anxious to see the hiking pictures. The mountains are such an amazing place!

The Lenzers said...

OMG, I'm in love with this little town. Can't wait to read more about the trip!

nomo wino daph said...

OMGOSH.....I'd love to visit this town...
how cute is it??? LOVE!

Allyson and Dave said...

I miss the mountains...