Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Frozen Tomato Sauce


For all of you ladies who grow your own tomatoes. I don't but Brad's mother does and she loaded me up a few weeks back when we went to visit. So - instead of trying to eat 10 or 20 tomatoes before they went bad. I made a co-worker's tomato sauce that she always talks about that you can freeze.

It's more of a base for soups, and sauces. I used it when I made chicken parmesan this last week and just added some mushrooms. We LOVED it!

So, here you go! Enjoy! BTW - I had 10 tomatoes so I cut the recipe in half!

Frozen Sauce
20 med tomatoes chunked and peeled (for easy peeling..drop a tomato in boiling water for about :30.then into a bowl of ice water. Skins will split and peel off easily)

3-4 carrots peeled and sliced

2 stalks celery roughly chopped

1 green pepper roughly chopped

3 med onions diced

2 tbsp. sugar

1 tbsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp. Italian seasoning

Cook together for about an hour. Let cool and process through blender until smooth. I freeze this in freezer bags and use as a base for spaghetti sauce, chili or soups.

4 comments:

teresa-bug said...

My mom and I are going to buy a bunch of tomatoes at the Farmer's Market in a couple of weeks for sauce making. This is a perfect recipe! Thanks!

SASS said...

I'm doing the same this weekend-tomato time! I don't freeze enough to use later. Great tip! :)

Amy-Jo Tatum/Chic said...

A couple years back I grew omatoes in bins in my backyard. This is a total inspiration to get planting again. Thanks

SASS said...

Holy journalism! I did not know this! I have not met anyone (I've looked-trust me) who has had the same major, and actually worked in the newsroom. This excites me greatly. Shoot me an email and fill me in at your leisure. A phonecall may be in order!
sarahcholloway@gmail.com