Thursday, December 8, 2011

Proud Aunt!! - Weight Loss Story

A little bit of a different post today.
We're still enjoying the holidays but I thought I would pause for a moment and say what a proud Aunt I am.

I hesitated posting this but I am just over the moon and want to brag so here it is.
First off...
Let me give you a little background.
Our family is plagued with fat genes.
Fat genes mixed with good ole' Southern and Cajun cooking isn't the best combo.
So, we all have to watch it and even then it's hard to lose weight and maintain.
My brother's two girls are part of that crew.
From an early age they've battled their weight.

 4-years ago my two nieces came to visit me here in North Carolina.
I was so excited and in regular 'Dee fashion', I wanted to show them my favorite part of the state I call home. So we headed West to the Blue Ridge mountains to see and walk a nature trail or two.
That year both of my nieces were battling their weight in the worst way possible.
We were very concerned for both but more so for my niece Holly who was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 15.
All due to weight.
Here's a glimpse of the three of us four years ago. 
Since that trip 4-years ago both girls have made A LOT of lifestyle changes.
My niece Holly made the decision to become vegan.
No, not just to lose weight but because of her passion for animals.
Her attitude and life motto is that she doesn't eat puppies or kitties.
She doesn't even use products tested on them either.
She's PASSIONATE!
My other niece, Hannah, made the decision to eat better and exercise.
With that here's what they look like today.
Amazing or what?
Both are continuing their journey to lose more weight and be healthy.
Not always an easy thing to do living in South Louisiana where everything is deep fried and covered in cheese!
So, that's my post for today.
I'm a PROUD...PROUD...Aunt!
Keep up the good work girls!!!

17 comments:

MCW said...

It's so hard to loose weight and they are doing amazing!

Mrs. Potts said...

Congrats to your nieces! That is excellent that they've made the commitment to being healthy.

Annie said...

Wow that is absolutely awesome! Proud of them for being healthy and they'll live a good long time! Congrats!

donatelli98 said...

That's awesome Dee!! Congrats to them!!

Aunt Grits a.k.a Maggi said...

they look FANTASTIC!!!

I Do Declare said...

They look amazing - good for them!

Ashley said...

I have been there and know how hard it is! They look fantastic! Way to go girls!!

Allyson and Dave said...

They look awesome!!

mrsb0909 said...

That is awesome! It's very hard when our genetics are against us. I can see why you're so proud!

Alayna said...

I'm still laughing about "fat genes". Yep, that's correct fo' sure for us "Bates" crew. The girls look amazing. So proud for them both!

Nikki said...

Good for them! It is hard especially when you're raised a certain way and all the information keeps changing. I'm a firm believer you have to listen to your body. What works for some may not work for you!

teresa-bug said...

They look awesome!! I am proud of them and I don't even know them! :)

Deviled Megs said...

Wow, that is amazing -- thank you for sharing and you SHOULD be proud of them, what a tremendous accomplishment!

Unknown said...

That's so AWESOME!

love jenny xoxo said...

that is very impressive! Your nieces are beautiful!

Thanks for thinking of me :) I actually switched to just being a vegetarian... but I still eat a lot of vegan foods. Being vegan is always not easy and I think that your niece is so awesome for sticking with it! I wish them both the best of luck!

XOXO

DSS said...

I hope they are just as proud of themselves!! Congrats to both of your neices. They have always been beautiful girls, but NOW they are healthy and beautiful still :)

jennykate77 said...

What an amazing story!!! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and sharing these links...truly inspriational! Your nieces are beautiful!