Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hiking Woods Mtn. Trail and South Creek Winery

I really like staying in the Little Switzerland area when in the mountains for a hiking weekend for several reasons.
One is that you're at a very high elevation.
226-A the road that runs through town parallells the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Two is that most of the inns and lodges are nestled right in the mountainside.
Again, our view from our deck at the Alpine Inn.
Absolutely lovely.
The third reason is that there are hiking trails galore nearby giving that you are so close to the Parkway.
Fourth reason -- gorgeous Fall color.
Actually, that's almost anywhere in the Blue Ridge mountains this time of year.
Fifth reason -- the AltaPass Apple Ochard is only 3-miles away.
We stopped by here on the way to our trail head Sunday morning and I was a bit disappointed.
It was literally their last day to be open for the season and the place was bare.
Oh, well.
Better luck next time.
Still a lovely place with an awesome view.
Now onto our Sunday hike.
A good 4-miles round trip with great incline.
I decided to hike in my Keens with my Halloween socks instead of hiking boots.
This was the first time I've done this and it worked out well!
This trail has to be breathtaking in the Summer because look at all the rhododendron.
Lovely views of the valley along the way.
Back at the bottom.
Good times.
Giving that NC has a ton of wineries we decided to stop at one that was on our way home.
South Creek Winery was one I had never heard of but I was pretty impressed.
Located in Nebo, NC the winery sits on a horse farm and is just beautiful.
The owners live in the same house where the tasting room and retail shop are located.
Unlike a lot of NC wineries, South Creek makes only dry wines.
That's more my style. I'm not much for the muscadine wines.
I was pretty impressed.
So much, that after a quick tasting I bought two bottles of their Reserve Chardonnay for the holidays.
Then we headed back to Charlotte.
If you are ever in the area stop by South Creek Winery.
As Brad would say -- "the juice is totally worth the squeeze."

10 comments:

donatelli98 said...

Looks like a great time - such a beautiful place!

I Do Declare said...

Love the socks, and your orange! Looks like a great winery!

Ashley said...

Just gorgeous!! Looks like a fabulous weekend.

Sara said...

I'm so jealous of your hike. Love hiking and never get to do it! Beautiful colors! I heart Fall.

Leigh Powell Hines said...

I have never been to Little Switzerland. Loved the winery.

I now have to look up the Alpine Inn.

Dee said...

Wow, it's so beautiful up there! Looks like y'all had a lot of fun!

love jenny xoxo said...

beautiful photos!! Looks like you are making the most of this fall! I could definitely go for a nice hike right now follow by some good wine!

XOXO

Brooke said...

That looks gorgeous - I might have to talk the husband into a similar getaway

Nikki said...

Wow, gorgeous! I think you and Brad should open a little bed and breakfast in the mountains. Hiking and wine tasting can be your forte!

The Lenzers said...

gorgeous as always! Wish I lived near the mountains