Saturday, May 8, 2010

Goodbye Wedding Dress!


My wedding dress is GONE!! See it above?? I loved it! So what I dreamed of!!! Very plain and Hepburn! BUT I donated it to this charity this weekend!!

From the beginning I knew I would never preserve my dress for the long haul. As much as I respect people who have/do that - it was not for me.

The day I went dress shopping I told my Mom that I did not want to spend crazy money for a dress and when it was all said and done... I wanted to donate it.

Donate to who???? My Mom asked??

Me: "A breast cancer charity- "Brides Against Breast Cancer" or otherwise known as - Making Memories for Breast Cancer Foundation.. It's a Make a Wish foundation for stage 4 breast cancer patients.

Mom: (Tears)"In memory of Aunt Bobbie?:

Me: "Of course, and others"

I talked about my Aunt Bobbie when I first started my blog. I mentioned how I was going to do the Avon walk for her but life got crazy. I got engaged and it turned out that I didn't do the walk.
Sooooooooooooo..in Atlanta this weekend for Mother's Day Mom and I talked about the dress. (that was still in the closet at her house).
Instead of taking it all the way back to Charlotte we decided to ship it from Atlanta.

I was so excited!!

My Mom was stoked too!!

We talked about Aunt Bobbie on the way there and how she had to be looking down from heaven. Then.. guess what??

We ran into Evelyn.
She asked what we were doing.
We told her donating my dress to a breast cancer charity. She told us her hair was just now growing back from her treatments for breast cancer. She thanked me.
I have to say.......................
I cried..... this is Evelyn......

What a special day! Was it an angel?? I don't know...but I felt my Aunt Bobbie there...

They folded the dress up into a small box..and it is gone. I can say that it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my entire life.

I would do it again and encourage anyone else to! I mean... what else am I going to do with it?? Let it sit in a closet??

16 comments:

Allyson and Dave said...

What a great charity. I never knew it existed.

The Jones Family said...

Dee, that is so neat. What a great idea.

starnes family said...

Dee.......awesome.......so amazed at your thoughtfulness! I didn't even know such existed.

And, yes.....an angel was there......had to be.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alexis said...

That made me all teary too!! It just must have been agiving weeked! I cute my hair short, but not enough for locks of love and when I was lementing that I justcan't cut off another 2 inches me hair dress said that she was collecting hair that was too short for locks of love to help soak up oil form the oil leak in the gulf! made me feel a little better :).

SASS said...

Incredible, Dee! I've been wondering what the heck to do with mine when it's all over. GIVING it never crossed my mind. You're so thoughtful.
So awesome!

Coco said...

That is so great! Your Aunt Bobbie was for sure standing with you and your mom beaming with pride!!!

I will pass this on to other new brides, I have never heard of this!!

{Kimber} said...

I think that is SO awesome!!!!

If the shoe FITZ said...

way cool, like the others i've never heard of this.

The Soladay Family said...

Love that you did this. =)

Sara said...

This is so wonderful! What a great thing to do. I never knew it existed either. I still have my wedding dress, but have thought about donating it to something.

So thoughtful!

The Rand's said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Sounds like a great charity!

donatelli98 said...

Wow what an awesome idea. Mine has been sitting in my closet for 12 years ... I need to think about doing the same thing.

incwell said...

Dee - from all of us Breast Cancer Survivors -- THANK YOU. What a wonderful, thoughtful, selfless thing to do.

I'm touched by your sweet spirit! Von

Mrs. Potts said...

that is such a wonderful thing to do. Each time you share a little more of yourself I'm even more impressed.

The Lenzers said...

wow!!!what a great idea, you're aunt would be so proud.