Wednesday, April 24, 2013

More Than I Expected - Billy Graham Library

For those of you who are new here you might not know that I was raised fiercely religious.
As in Jimmy Swaggart, Assembly of God religious.
In case you aren't familiar with either, Google them.
You'll learn real quick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
In saying that, when I heard about the Billy Graham Library opening here in Charlotte I wasn't overly excited to visit.
In fact, it's been open for several years and I had never visited until this past weekend.
It's not that I don't respect and admire Billy Graham, I just didn't feel like going and being bombarded by volunteers and such.
Well, I'm here to tell you.
It's nothing like I expected.
I left being uplifted, and respecting Billy Graham more than I ever thought I would.

He isn't just a money grubbing evangelist like a lot of people might think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Billy Graham organization is first class all the way.
AND...
AGAIN, that's coming from someone who is VERY JADED, when it comes to televangelists.
In fact, I would take more visitors here when visiting Charlotte.

So, enough gabbing and onto the photo tour.

As you may have read in my last post me, Shelby, Mom and my Aunt Jane went.
On the grounds is the library.
Garden to die for.
And, Billy's childhood home that originally sat on Park Road here in Charlotte.
We toured through the home first.
There were very few things original to the home but it was still neat to see.
Aunt Jane loved all of this!
Shelby?
Well, it was her first tour ever and I think she liked it too!
Then we toured the library which was WAY MUCH MORE EXTENSIVE than I ever dreamed!!!!
It was free to get in(donations accepted) and it wasn't just 1 or 2 rooms but 13 exhibits!!
The museum took you in a time capsule of sorts.
A camp meeting held way back when in LA.
The museum showed you Rev. Graham's scope in radio.
And, television.
As one of our friends said.
No matter your faith, it's still pretty amazing to see the impact the Graham organization has had (and still does)
 He's met with Presidents.
 A check from President Nixon, repaying a $5 loan.
 To me one of the most moving parts of the library, was the exhibit where Rev. Graham's speech and prayer to the nation after 9/11 aired.
WOW!
I was in tears.
 Especially, giving the events of this past week.
His words were powerful.
God has really used Rev. Graham to the fullest.
 A true man of God.
As was his wife, Ruth and his children are.
They are continuing the Graham legacy to this day. 
 Did you know that Rev. Graham has visited nearly every nation spreading the Gospel?
 Really Remarkable!
 If you're ever in Charlotte I suggest you visit.
I can't wait to go back at Christmas time!

6 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

What an interesting cultural experience. I would have been skeptical about it as well, but I'm glad you got so much out of it.

donatelli98 said...

Looks beautiful - so glad everyone enjoyed it!!

Jordan Cole said...

When Ben and I first went to the library we blown away, it was so much more than we expected. For me, I was most inspired by the role his wife took in their marriage.

Monica said...

Beautiful! I think Shelby liked it too with her little feet crossed. So adorable. I didn't even know he had a Library, so thanks for sharing :)

eas said...

I would never think to go there but it looks really pretty!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

So interesting. This would be neat to see. So, that was his home?