Thursday, September 9, 2010

Trip to Georgia's Golden Isles and Savannah

I'm back from girl's weekend 2010! I actually tagged along with my cousin Alayna's group of friends this year since they were coming to the East Coast and in driving distance of Charlotte.

This year's destination? Georgia's Golden Isles! We rented a house in St. Simons Island but ventured to some of the other islands as well. There were six of girls in all -- and we were from all over the country. Kansas City, Boston, Little Rock, Charlotte...

I didn't go picture crazy like I normally would because I have been down here several times and just chose to relax and not go crazy tourist with my camera.

I arrived Friday night and we got dressed up and went to dinner at Saltwater Cowboy. Great food but the service kinda sucked. After a few glasses of wine I felt the need to share this with the chef, who was very apologetic.

Saltwater Cowboy was in walking distance of our house and they had GREAT entertainment!! Brandon Crocker from Atlanta. I swear -- he sounds just like John Mayer! Good times for sure!

The next day we got up and hit the beach at the King and Prince Hotel.
What I had forgotten about St. Simons is the tide is very high. By 3pm this beach was totally gone. We had to move 3x's. We remembered this for other beach days.

That night we hit the town again! This time at this joint that has changed locations since last time I visited the island.
Maria and Jessica getting their groove on!

Not going to lie.. This joint was cheesier than I remembered. Or.. maybe I'm just not used to going out to bars/clubs anymore. Despite having wedding rings on Jess and I got hit on a lot. Shenanigans!

Sunday we ventured to one of the other Isles. Jekyll Island to be exact. I had also been/stayed here before.
It's very historical and very Southern!


Another group shot..

We had lunch at one of the Club's restaurants. Delightful indeed!

Our waiter was from Italy and had the hots for our friend Maria who is also Italian(her parents immigrated here). They spoke Italian to each other and then he came out with a free bottle of champagne for us ladies!

After our day out and about we decided to head back to the house and cook dinner in. Beforehand cocktails on the porch.
Had to take a shot of Jessica's shirt and shorts.
Shirt..(yes, I loves it)

And.. shorts. Just for you Allison. As most of you know I'm an LSU fan!

Dinner was shrimp and risotto.

Yep.. I made your recipe Sarah!

Monday and Tuesday included another day at the beach, more wine, dinner,cooking and a day trip to Savannah.


Red Snapper for me!


Savannah's River Street!

If you've never visited Savannah you should do so. Historic and lovely even though I tend to prefer Charleston, SC a little better for shopping, eating, etc.

Big oak trees, and awesome architecture. I heart the South!


The best ending to the trip for me?? A free piece of art! No, not this one. This is the one I would die to have.
We found this artist, Stephen Kasun, in Savannah's City Market. Go check him out. His art is lovely and not pop artishy like you see in New Orleans a lot. Sorry.. not to offend anyone. I just am a little over the pop art stuff you see there.

I told him how much I liked the American flag being in this painting and he proceeded to give me a smaller, similar print for free.

Now to only convince hubs on one of his paintings in the near future for our house!
That's a wrap folks. I got back to Charlotte yesterday afternoon. Great trip overall and the group could not have gotten along any better. I'm not sure where the girls trip next year will be -- but I may just have to tag along again.
Thanks for having me ladies!
Now...it's all about football kids! GEAUX TIGERS!

13 comments:

Summer Athena said...

love the nola shirt!
love all of the photos of you. girly, you look great!
i want some red snapper NOW. ;)

x

Sara said...

I've been dying to go to Savannah. My college roommate was from Wilmington Beach and always talked about how beautiful that whole area was. She used to go back for St. Patty's Day when they dye the river green. So fun!!

Looks like a great girls trip! And I'm glad you made the risotto recipe! YUM.

donatelli98 said...

I'm with Sarah I have always wanted to go to Savannah (haven't been since I was a kid) and Charleston too - I will have to call you to be my tour guide. I love spanish moss on trees! Makes me miss the south so much.

Mrs. Potts said...

What a great weekend! I want the nola shirt!!

We were going to plan something & I've totally dropped the ball, didn't I. ::hangs head in shame::

SASS said...

FUN!!! My favorites:
-You "feeling the need" to inform the chef about poor service. Sounds like something I would do.
-Love all your outfits!
-Red Snapper looks delish.
-Can't beat a free piece of art :)
Good times for sure!

Allyson and Dave said...

I love Savannah. They have the best food there!

Nikki said...

FUN WEEKEND! I've always wanted to visit the South. Someday.

I wish you had been at my bachelorette party ;) Love that you shared that with the chef!

The Soladay Family said...

You look so cute i all your pics! I have always told Ryan that I want to visit Savannah. Every inch of it is beautiful!

Love the HOG shorts!

MCW said...

I have never been to GA! Now I am dying to go...I must get down south at some point soon.

The Jones Family said...

Love all your pictures! Such a beautiful place indeed.

The Rand's said...

Looks beautiful there! Great pictures. Love your last outfit--the blue skirt and shirt. Super cute!

starnes family said...

OK, you know I'm loving this.....the hotel....the beach.....and Tigers?! Love it!

Leigh Powell Hines said...

What a great trip. Love that painting, too.