Friday, May 25, 2012

Kickoff to Summer - Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes

There is nothing I love better than the fresh produce that the Summer brings!
As a kid I remember holidays such as Memorial Day would mean fresh strawberry flan cake with ice cream filling, watermelon, and anything and everything on the grill!

Of course right now it's strawberry season around the Carolinas and knowing that we are going to the lake this weekend I wanted to bring a treat that screamed Summer and was yummy too!
So...
I chose fresh strawberry cupcakes.
I'm not expert baker but I think I'm getting better.
I even made the cake from scratch this time with fresh berries as well as the icing.
I looked all over Pinterest (@DeNanner)but most of the recipes I found were in other languages and then the ones that were in English?? Were in grams?
I didn't feel like dealing with that.
So, I said the heck with it and went to google and food.com and found this recipe.
Last night I put my apron on and went to baking!!
...AND...
Didn't they turn out pretty?
Two things about the recipe that I did different.
I sifted the powdered sugar to make the icing(doesn't call for that we all know that's how it's done), and instead of using a knife to spread the icing I used a cake tip and bag.
I'm keeping them in the fridge until serving to make sure the butter cream frosting doesn't melt in what is suppose to be a sweltering weekend here.
I think they're the perfect way to kickoff what is the official start of Summer this weekend, don't you!?

12 comments:

Megan said...

Those look and sound delicious! I HATE sifting powder though. I almost always skip it!

Mandi @ Southern Gnome said...

Those look so delicious! I think I could eat about 6.

April of Smidge Of This said...

Dee, these are so pretty! I think piping on the icing makes such a difference. Nicely done :)

I Do Declare said...

They do look pretty!!!

MCW said...

You are amazing! Send me some! Have a great weekend...xoxo

Anonymous said...

oh.my.goodness. These look AMAZING! Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and this is just making me drool. Especially the icing - it's so pretty. You did a great job. I'll definitely have to give this a go! Hope you have a great weekend!

Don't forget to check out my shabby apple giveaway I'm hosting right now!

Lauren
http://laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Gorgeous. I think you should link it with me today. YUM! Wish I had one right now.

Tricia said...

These look fantastic. I may have to steal the recipe for my next Wine-ing Women. I've never used an icing bag and tip. I need to try that. Thanks for sharing! :)

starnes family said...

Absolutely lovely.

love jenny xoxo said...

Yum! those look amazing, and pretty too! I hope you are having a nice memorial day weekend, it's freezing in MN (well 63 and rainy...) but its supposed to be 90 and sunny tomorrow, fingers crossed!!

XOXO

Wiz said...

These look SO good!

The Soladay Family said...

I LOVE anything strawberry! Yum!


BTW, we're headed to Lake Hamilton in August. It's always our last hoorah before the kids go back to school. =)