Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My Dream Christmas

I totally love Christmas! It is my favorite time of the year. The smell of the trees, the lights, the music, decorations, the sweet baked goods, the movies, etc..etc..

What I don't like so much though? The focus on all the gift giving. This was the tree at my Mom and Dad's house last year.

While it's all great - I think it's WAY overdone and just not fun to be honest. As my Mom would say we should all just exchange dollar bills. Don't get me wrong - I know it's traditional and I am traditional...BUT...half of the items people get they don't need or even want.

I've been saying this for YEARS..YEARS..and while I understand it wouldn't work for families with small children(because there's something about Santa coming to your own house), I would like to spend Christmas here.

Aspen, CO or some other ski resort. Instead of spending tons of money and running around fighting the crowds at malls why not say the heck with all that and take a trip!?

I'm serious. I've talked with my parents about this for some time now. It would be my DREAM Christmas to fly into the ski town on the 23rd and ski Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after and the day after that.

Enjoy hot toddys in the lodge(and their Christmas decor), enjoy the fire, the mountains, the snow and each other. This would be everyone's gift to each other.

Again, I would still put up a tree at home and decorate and have a party -- but when it comes to the days leading up. Let's go somewhere!

Well, that's it for me today. Happy Tuesday! and Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

starnes family said...

Sounds good to me! I'm all for travel as a gift.....it's creating memories and such that a simple gift cannot bring. You have my vote!

starnes family said...

PS - go to Aspen, stay at the Little Nell and have fun! I've spent time there both pre-kids and after......nothing like it!

Mrs. Potts said...

That is such a wonderful idea. When we spend Christmas with Mr. Potts' family I almost have a panic attack each Christmas morning. His grandmother living room (a big one) is literally half full with gifts & it takes them over 2 hours to open all the presents. They take a break half-way through!

I almost cried the first time I saw the room because I couldn't fathom how they could feel comfortable spending money like that.

Take me away!

donatelli98 said...

awesome idea! I am with you - travel would be a fun gift to each other!

Coco said...

That is a wonderful idea. In fact that is what my parents gave us two years ago, they rented a condo in Padre, a bad ass condo with a pool on the beach. Paid for everything. All for the holidays.

They will do it again as soon as my dad's schedule slows down. Such a fun idea.

This year they are getting me a Dyson vacuum cleaner. And I am super excited.

Unknown said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

We are spending Christmas in Key West, and I am so excited! I'm all about decorating the house for the month of December, but then jet-setting to somewhere fun for the holidays!!

I went to Aspen in college, and it was AWESOME!!

SASS said...

I couldn't agree more! Totally about the kids though, with Santa and everything. It's hard when Mommy's Santa is competing with Sassy Santa. Especially when Sassy Santa isn't playing the same game!

Tony and I decided we would go shopping together and pick out one thing we could share as our gift. That way neither of us have to go out and spend money on stuff we don't need, or really even want sometimes.

(P.s. I love hot toddys!)

teresa-bug said...

This year we have decided to cut back on Christmas drastically!!! I suggested that we go somewhere instead, but that is not going to happen this year. I am looking forward to focusing on the real reason for Christmas.

Emily Popovich said...

Such a great idea! Man, really makes me want to be in Aspen right now... ahhhh...

Anonymous said...

I think this is a fantastic idea!