Monday, October 26, 2009

I Heart the Mountains!


I know.. I know.. I've talked about my obsession with the mountains on here quite a bit but it's the truth.

I HEART the mountains...especially this time of the year.

Got back from the Blue Ridge last night and we had a fabulous time! Things cleared off Saturday mid-morning and we hit the trail... literally. Ready... here we go through a fun, fall weekend!

The picture above is me along the Parkway. It was slammed with people driving, taking pictures, having picnics, etc.

Leaves along our hike in the Craggy Gardens area.

Me along the trail on the hike. Friday I mentioned I got this hike out of my hiking with dogs book. Hmm..well, The Buddy is a stud and did just great but I'm not sure I would recommend it to others with dogs.

The trail was narrow and VERY steep which made it even harder since it rained all morning up there. We took it slow and Buddy got pulled a few times for trying to pull him Mommy down the mountain.
I could only picture me having to be taken out on a stretcher..yikes!

The Buddy getting his hunt on along the trail. There were tons of chipmunks which made him crazy!

View on the trail. We were very high and the fog continued to roll in. By the end of the trail we had to put on our fleeces because the temp dropped 15-degrees. The weather in the mountains can change at the drop of a hat!
My hiking bud Kelli along the trail..

Then afterwards we stopped along the Parkway to take some pictures.
The leaves this high were really past peak but down in Asheville, NC they were bright!

From there we headed to the house and showered and headed to downtown Asheville. It was so cold we decided to shop and buy sweaters! BTW - this is my favorite store in the mountains. They have Mast General stores in several of the W. NC mountain towns.
Here's a vest that I should have bought.. still thinking about. So, my style. Mountain chic!

One example of the color in Asheville!

Then our night out in downtown Asheville. Blue grass band at one of the many bars we hit. So very fun!

Oh..yeh... Needless to say we took a cab home.

Then.. Sunday morning a stop at the Orchard at AltaPass along the Parkway. More bluegrass and tons of dancing, food and apples!

Love this place.. me and my friend Kara used to hit this place up a couple times a year before she moved to Tampa.

Fresh apples! I brought a ton home! along with apple jelly!

They allowed dogs on the leash inside the orchard store!

And.. me eating my apples with caramel..mmm...good!
So very fun. One of the last big weekends up there before the Parkway shuts down for the season. So sad...
I've decided I could be one of those people who if I had a second home in the mountains, I would live there 1/2 the year. I just can't get enough.
Brad had a blast too but is so over drinking after his bachelor weekend. Now it's back to TCB(taking care of business)
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We, the MGS family, are delighted that you enjoy the Mast General Stores. You can always go on line and buy that terrific looking vest...www.mastgeneralstore.com. If it is not on site, they will find it for you. Just shoot them the picture...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!!!
Looks like y'all had a great time!!!

The Lenzers said...

WOW!!! What great pictures. I so wished we lived near mountains, maybe one day!

SASS said...

So jealous! Cute vests, puppy friendly (kinda), drinky drinks, fall colors, and hiking?? Love it!

starnes family said...

Couldn't agree more. I'm homesick for the Rockies.

This is so my kind of adventure.....well planned and packed with plenty to do!

Asheville is on my list of cities to live in one day. Hear it's fabulous.